Lost immigration documents: what to do?

passport with plane ticket
Photo Credit: Nicole Harrington on Unsplash

If any of your documents are stolen or lost, please contact ISS.

Review the US Department of State page on lost or stolen passports or visas.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Stolen or Lost Passport

Report the loss or theft to the local police. Get a copy of the police report. To replace your passport, contact your country’s consulate.

Submit a copy of your new passport to ISS.

What about my F-1/J-1 visa?

Report your lost or stolen F-1/J-1 visa to the US Embassy or Consulate that issued you the visa abroad.

Please review this information from the US Department of State on Lost/Stolen Visas

Note: If you report the visa as lost/stolen, and then eventually find your misplaced visa, the visa will be invalid. You will need to apply for a new visa in the future.

If your passport is lost or stolen outside the US, you must also apply for a new F-1 or J-1 visa at the nearest US consulate after you get your replacement passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen inside the US, you must get a new F-1 or J-1 visa the next time you travel internationally in order to return to the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student. Remember, you can remain in the US without an F-1 or J-1 visa as long as your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 are valid.

Lost, Damaged, or Stolen I-20 or DS-2019

ISS can issue a replacement document for you.

Step 1: Submit the I-20/DS-2019 Reprint Request Form in Terra Dotta

Please allow up to 15 business days for processing.

Step 2: Select your mailing option

ISS will email you when your replacement document is ready.

We will provide you with these options:

  • Pick up the document yourself at ISS
  • Authorize a friend to pick up your document
  • Select a mailing option. If you are outside the U.S., we recommend express shipping.

Adapted with permission from New York University.