Thank you for contacting ISS! We are happy to serve over 6,000 international (F and J visa) students on campus and over 1,000 working on post-completion employment authorization throughout the U.S.
To best serve our students, please choose only one method of communication with ISS. Please do not send multiple Terra Dotta information requests or call multiple staff members with the same question or request. This will prevent delays and confusion when we respond to your inquiry.
Summer Service Schedule May 1 – August 1
- Virtual drop-in advising only; Monday – Thursday on Zoom
- Information requests can be sent to your assigned ISS advisor, even if they are out of the office (we work as a team to respond!)
- Phone services are provided by our student peer advisors Monday – Friday
- Immigration update requests can be submitted through your Terra Dotta portal; each advisor spends over 10 hours processing hundreds of requests each week!
- Office Hours
- Walk-In Advising Hours
- Advising Appointments
- Virtual Drop-in Advising
- Information Requests
- Document Processing Times
Monday – Thursday: 10 AM – 12PM and 1 PM – 4PM.
Office is closed (ISS Staff working virtually) on Fridays.
All advising will be virtual. All immigration requests can be submitted online through Terra Dotta.
For your safety, staff safety, and community safety we encourage you to use our virtual services.
We suspended walk-in advising on suspended 03/17/2020.
Virtual drop-in advising hours is available. See the Virtual Drop-In Advising tab on this page for more information.
Advising appointments are suspended for summer 2021. Please join us for virtual drop-in advising!
Drop-in advising is available through Zoom every week.
- Mondays & Wednesdays 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 8:30-10:30 a.m.
We will try our best to meet with all students who attend drop-in hours. Drop-in advising is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If there is a “long line” of students ahead of you, you may need to wait for some time. All available ISS advisors are on virtual drop-in advising.
Monday and Wednesday Drop-in Advising: 2:30pm – 4:30pm (CDT)
Click this link to join: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/98440083194?pwd=Yk1qb3hvdnhoeFhocDBJTmtoVUlFdz09
Meeting ID: 984 4008 3194
Tuesday and Thursday Drop-in Advising: 8:30am – 10:30am (CDT)
Click this link to join: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/96787983209?pwd=NkNhRC9uR1Nvc0ltWC9BekhhL1g0QT09
Meeting ID: 967 8798 3209
Tips for Participating in Drop-In Advising:
- Students must log-in using their NetID Zoom account and are able to join by phone or computer. For directions on how to sign-in to your UWMadison Zoom account please see these directions: https://kb.wisc.edu/zoom/105271#signin
- While in the waiting room, you must complete the Google Advising form before you will be allowed to join a breakout room to meet with an advisor.
- In the Google form you can use the short answer section to make a note if you wish to speak with a specific advisor. Please be aware that by requesting to speak with a specific advisor your wait time will be longer.
- If advisors are already talking with other students, you may need to wait. There could also be other students waiting “in line” for advising. We will do our best to keep these sessions short (5-10 minutes). Please help us out with this by scheduling an appointment in Terra Dotta if you have lots of questions or a complicated situation that may need more time.
- The first hour of drop-in advising is usually the busiest.
- A good internet connection is important for Zoom to work well. Disabling your video sharing can help some, and is not usually necessary. Keep in mind that you may use UWNet or eduroam while on campus. There are some computer labs and study spaces in the Unions open for students. Please use headphones with a microphone to avoid disturbing others.
- If you are having trouble connecting to Zoom, you may always quit the application and rejoin. Our team tracks technical issues and will try to make sure you do not lose your place in line.
- While Zoom allows for videoconferencing, you are not required to use a camera to show video of yourself. You do need the following attached to your computer or mobile device:
- A microphone
- Your Zoom name matches your legal or preferred name in Terra Dotta
- Drop-in advising is not meant to be a time for you to check on the status of a request you submitted in Terra Dotta. If you do have a question about one of your requests please send an information request.
Our phone line is monitored by our student peer advising staff. No immigration advising is provided. Our peer advisors can provide you with the resources to find what you are looking for and answer questions about how to navigate your Terra Dotta portal.
We strive to provide phone service Monday – Friday from 10:00am-4:00pm.
You can contact your advisor through Terra Dotta information requests. Information requests are a replacement to email so that all communication and immigration information is in one place.
Advisors and student peer advisors monitor Information Requests every weekday and typically respond in 24-48 hours. Complex cases require additional time to research before a response is sent. Many ISS advisors will be on vacation over the summer. We work as a team to answer your information requests, even if your assigned advisor is out of the office.
We request that you not send a message to check the status of your request. Once you submit a request in Terra Dotta, you can check the status yourself. Sending messages to check in will cause delays.
- It should say “Submitted – Under Review by Assigned Advisor” if an advisor is still working on it.
- It will say “Request Approved” or SEVIS-Processed” if the request is completed.
Any request or application you submit to ISS may take up to 15 business days to process. ISS business days are Monday-Friday, except for holidays. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate requests to expedite your application. Your request will be processed in the order that it is received and assigned to an available advisor.
Applications must be complete for ISS to review and process requests. If you submit an incomplete application to ISS, we will be unable to process your application. In this case, you will be asked to resubmit a completed application. Your application will take up to 15 business days to process after it has been resubmitted to ISS and assigned to an available advisor.
At this time, we are not able to provide status updates on your request. Continue to monitor your Wiscmail account (or personal email if you are on post-completion OPT or Academic Training) for status updates.
Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), and I-20/DS-2019 travel signature requests may take 1-3 ISS business days. We will email you when the document is available for you to pick up at ISS.