Thank you for contacting ISS! We are happy to serve over 6,000 international (F and J visa) students on campus and over 1,000 working on post-completion employment authorization throughout the U.S.
To best serve our students, please choose only one method of communication with ISS. Please do not send multiple Terra Dotta information requests or call multiple staff members with the same question or request. This will prevent delays and confusion when we respond to your inquiry.
Upcoming Service Schedule Changes:
Monday, January 18, 2021: No services available. Martin Luther King Jr Day.
- Office Hours
- Walk-In Advising Hours
- Advising Appointments
- Virtual Drop-in Advising
- Information Requests
- Document Processing Times
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 10 AM – 12PM and 1 PM – 4PM.
Office is closed (ISS Staff working virtually) on Wednesdays.
All advising (drop-in and appointments) will be virtual. All immigration requests can be submitted online through Terra Dotta.
For your safety, staff safety, and community safety we encourage you to use our virtual services.
We suspended walk-in advising on suspended 03/17/2020. Students are encouraged to schedule phone appointments with an advisor.
Virtual drop-in advising hours is available. See the Virtual Drop-In Advising tab on this page for more information.
Students can make 20-minute appointments with their assigned advisors. Appointments are available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday during advisor’s scheduled appointment times. You may schedule advising appointments through your TerraDotta student portal. Same day appointments are not available. Tutorials for making appointments and other Terra Dotta support are available on our website.
How to make an appointment with an ISS Advisor:
- Click on the TerraDotta “Home” button on the top left of the page.
- Scroll down to “Staff” and click.
- Scroll down the page to “International Student Services.”
- Click on the name of your assigned ISS advisor and a form will come up.
- Type the subject of the appointment in the subject line (i.e. OPT questions, “I want to learn about CPT;” or “travel questions“).
- Click the blue text that reads, “Click to Request An Appointment.”
- Select a time for your appointment by clicking a specific available time slot in the new window.
- Add any additional message you need to share with the advisor. Include your U.S. phone number or request a Zoom/WebEx meeting as all appointments are currently virtual.
- Click “send.”
You should receive an email within a few minutes confirming your appointment. If you do not receive the confirmation, you may want to try to set the appointment again.
Drop-in advising is available through Zoom every week. We will try our best to meet with all students who attend drop-in hours. Drop-in advising is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If there is a “long line” of students ahead of you, you may need to wait for some time. All available ISS advisors are on virtual drop-in advising.
Drop-in Advising Tuesdays 8:30-11:00am
Follow the link to join: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/99773254570?pwd=Ym1ZVWFFVkpsWTF1bm5hU29JOWZXQT09
Meeting ID: 997 7325 4570
Drop-in Advising Wednesdays 1:00-3:30pm
Follow the link to join: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/92584348272?pwd=VzNUaHMxK0xtVmtwUzdSSjZHd1dVUT09
Meeting ID: 925 8434 8272
Tips for Participating in Drop-In Advising:
- Students must log-in using their NetID Zoom account and are able to join by phone or computer. For directions on how to sign-in to your UWMadison Zoom account please see these directions: https://kb.wisc.edu/zoom/105271#signin
- While in the waiting room, you must complete the Google Advising form before you will be allowed to join a breakout room to meet with an advisor.
- In the Google form you can use the short answer section to make a note if you wish to speak with a specific advisor. Please be aware that by requesting to speak with a specific advisor your wait time will be longer.
- If advisors are already talking with other students, you may need to wait. There could also be other students waiting “in line” for advising. We will do our best to keep these sessions short (5-10 minutes). Please help us out with this by scheduling an appointment in Terra Dotta if you have lots of questions or a complicated situation that may need more time.
- The first hour of drop-in advising is usually the busiest.
- A good internet connection is important for Zoom to work well. Disabling your video sharing can help some, and is not usually necessary. Keep in mind that you may use UWNet or eduroam while on campus. There are some computer labs and study spaces in the Unions open for students. Please use headphones with a microphone to avoid disturbing others.
- If you are having trouble connecting to Zoom, you may always quit the application and rejoin. Our team tracks technical issues and will try to make sure you do not lose your place in line.
- While Zoom allows for videoconferencing, you are not required to use a camera to show video of yourself. You do need the following attached to your computer or mobile device:
- A microphone
- Drop-in advising is not meant to be a time for you to check on the status of a request you submitted in Terra Dotta. If you do have a question about one of your requests please send an information request.
Our phone line is monitored by our student peer advising staff. No immigration advising is provided. Our peer advisors can provide you with the resources to find what you are looking for and answer questions about how to navigate your Terra Dotta portal.
We strive to provide phone service Monday – Friday from 9:00am-4:30pm.
You can contact your advisor through Terra Dotta information requests. Information requests are a replacement to email so that all communication and immigration information is in one place.
Advisors and student peer advisors monitor Information Requests every weekday and typically respond in 24-48 hours. Complex cases require additional time to research before a response is sent.
We request that you not send a message to check the status of your request. Once you submit a request in Terra Dotta, you can check the status yourself. Sending messages to check in will cause delays.
- It should say “Submitted – Under Review by Assigned Advisor” if an advisor is still working on it.
- It will say “Request Approved” or SEVIS-Processed” if the request is completed.
Any request or application you submit to ISS may take up to 15 business days to process. ISS business days are Monday-Friday, except for holidays. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate requests to expedite your application. Your request will be processed in the order that it is received and assigned to an available advisor.
Applications must be complete for ISS to review and process requests. If you submit an incomplete application to ISS, we will be unable to process your application. In this case, you will be asked to resubmit a completed application. Your application will take up to 15 business days to process after it has been resubmitted to ISS and assigned to an available advisor.
At this time, we are not able to provide status updates on your request. Continue to monitor your Wiscmail account (or personal email if you are on post-completion OPT or Academic Training) for status updates.
Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), and I-20/DS-2019 travel signature requests may take 1-3 ISS business days. We will email you when the document is available for you to pick up at ISS.