On-campus employment is a benefit for F-1 students who are not in violation of their F-1 student visa status. On-campus jobs include places of employment on the UW-Madison campus and for the benefit of UW-Madison students.
During the Fall/Spring:
- No more than 20 hours per week
- All employment combined (including any authorized off-campus employment)
During authorized vacation periods (spring, summer, winter breaks):
- May work over 20 hours per week
- No cap imposed by immigration regulations
- UW may limit to no more than 29 hours per week (consult with your payroll specialist(s))
- Must have been enrolled full-time prior to vacation period
- Must intend to enroll full-time after vacation period
Looking for an on-campus job? Search the Student Job Center, Access ISS, GradConnections Weekly, and department websites for postings!
Off-campus employment requires prior authorization. Eligibility for off-campus employment requires that an F-1 student be enrolled full-time for a minimum of two semesters (or nine months). There are four types of off-campus employment allowed under F-1 immigration regulations, with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) being the most common.