Your family, relatives and friends may want to visit you during your studies at UW-Madison. They will most likely need to apply for a tourist visa (B1/B2 visa) if they plan to enter the U.S.

The U.S. Department of State has informed us that it is not necessary or even useful to present a letter of invitation from UW-Madison’s ISS Office when your parents, siblings, other family members or friends are applying for a U.S. tourist visa. You can find guidance on assisting your family member’s application for a U.S. tourist visa here.

Since the purpose of a tourist visa directly involves a visit to you, it will be beneficial if you provide your family and friends with a “Letter of Invitation” written by you. We advise that you include your Enrollment Verification Letter from the UW-Madison’s Registrar Office and a copy of your transcript. If you do not want to order an official transcript, you can request a copy of your Student Record (sometimes called the “unofficial transcript”) through your online Student Center. Your Student Record includes everything that would be in an official transcript.

We have provided a sample invitation letter for inviting relatives and friends. You may fill out the highlighted sections using your own information.

Please encourage the family members, relatives, and friends who plan to visit you to review the visa application process on the website of the U.S. Consulate in their home country.