A student in F-1 status may work up to 20 hours per week on campus while enrolled in a full course of study (12 credits for undergraduates, eight credits for graduate students, three credits for dissertators). As a full-time student, you do not need permission to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week. You will need to show your employer documents which establish your identification and employment eligibility, as listed on the I-9 form.  The I-9 form is something that all new employees must complete.

A student in J-1 status enrolled in a full course of study is eligible to work up to 20 hours per week on campus after securing a written program sponsor permission letter. The program sponsor for J-1 student visa holders is listed in item #2 on their DS-2019.

There is no exception to the on-campus 20 hours-per-week maximum during the major Fall and Spring semesters. On-campus employment may exceed 20 hours a week during vacation periods (summer, semester break) for students who have maintained full time status before the vacation, and intend to register for the following semester.

“On-campus” jobs include work in the UW student unions, libraries, recreational centers, and in academic and administrative departments.

A great way to find on-campus job opportunities is through UW-Madison’s Student Job Center website. It has updated postings for on-campus jobs available at the UW.   Make sure you look at the on-campus section of the UW-Madison Student Job Center.

UW-Madison Student Job Center