Who Can Apply
A degree-seeking F-1 student who:
- Has been enrolled full-time for one full academic year in valid U.S. immigration status:
- Academic year = Consecutive Fall and Spring semester enrollment;
- A transfer student who transferred their I-20/SEVIS record to UW-Madison may qualify if they were previously enrolled full-time enrollment for one academic year;
- A UW-Madison student who changed education levels and was issued a “change of level” I-20 (not “Initial attendance”) may qualify;
- A student who has an approved change of status to F1 may qualify depending on their previous visa status and full-time enrollment for one academic year. Please see an ISS advisor for clarification.
- Is maintaining valid F-1 status.
- Has an offer for a practical training opportunity directly related to their major and degree level as listed on the I-20.
- Is enrolled in an appropriate course for CPT (as determined by the department), or a practical training opportunity/internship/practicum is required to earn the degree.
ESL and non-degree students (VISP, exchange, certificate) are not eligible for CPT.