We’re writing with updates on the Proposed Rule to eliminate Duration of Status and the changes to the OPT fee. (Updated October 2, 2020 at 9:58 AM)
Proposed Rule to Eliminate Duration of Status
ISS is aware of the Proposed Rule to eliminate Duration of Status for students on F-1 and J-1 visas. This proposed rule is currently open for public comment through October 26, 2020.
What does this rule do?
- Establishes a fixed period of admission and an extension of stay period for F-1 and J-1 students.
- Removes responsibility of Designated Schools at UW-Madison for extending immigration documents.
- Requires students to apply for their program extensions with USCIS.
Students, community members, and university staff are able to submit public comments if they would like to use advocacy skills.
To take action, go to this link: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/09/25/2020-20845/establishing-a-fixed-time-period-of-admission-and-an-extension-of-stay-procedure-for-nonimmigrant Click Submit a Formal Comment. Complete the required information and/or submit a file for review.
OPT Fee Changes
On September 29, 2020, a U.S. District Court put a preliminary injunction on the USCIS Fee Schedule and Changes to Certain Other Immigration Benefit Request Requirements rule.
This changes what students may have been advised about OPT. Updated information is below:
- The filing fee for the I-765 is $410 and will not increase after October 2.
- You can use the I-765 Edition 08/25/20 when you submit your application.
We do not recommend students to submit applications with the higher application fee.
Thank you! And, stay safe!
International Student Services