If you have decided to apply for a change of status within the United States, you will want to collect the items below to submit with your application to USCIS.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR CHANGE OF STATUS APPLICATION FOR USCIS:
- Photocopy of signed/dated I-20/DS-2019 issued by ISS for the purpose of requesting a change of status.
- Photocopy of passport identity and expiration pages.
- Photocopy of current visa page(s) and the entry stamp.
- If you had changed your status within the U.S., you must include a photocopy of your I-797A.
- Copy of your I-94 record or photocopy (front and back) of original I-94 card in passport.
- Photocopies of all dependent documents (passport, visa, I-94), if applicable.
- Official, sealed transcripts from all schools attended in the U.S., if applicable.
- Original, signed USCIS Form I-539: Application to Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status
- USCIS Form I-539 filing fee in the amount of $370 USD (personal check, cashier’s check, or money order).
- Pay to: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Financial support documentation
- Written Statement from applicant to USCIS.
- SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt.
- Biometrics Services Appointment and $85 fee for Biometrics Processing.
Changing to F-2 or J-2?
- Include all of the above, except the SEVIS I-901 fee payment.
- Include copies of all F-1 or J-1 documents (I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94, proof of F-1/J-1 SEVIS I-901 fee payment).
- Official, sealed transcripts from all schools attended in the U.S. by F-1/J-1.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
What should I include in my written statement to USCIS?
You are responsible for writing a letter to USCIS that articulates your reason for change of status and shows that you have ties to your home country.
Remember to include the following elements:
- Greeting to the USCIS adjudicating officer (i.e. Dear Adjudicator or To Whom It May Concern)
- Current Visa Status
- Desired Visa Status
- Reason for requesting change of status
- Thank you
- Signature and date