Employment FAQ

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Can I work off-campus in a position not directly related to my major?

There are limited circumstances under which this may be possible. You must meet with an ISS advisor to discuss the extreme circumstances under which this may be possible.

Can I accept an off-campus position that is related to my certificate or minor?

Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and Academic Training (AT) all require that the position be directly related to your major, not a certificate or minor. If the position relates to your major, you may be eligible to apply for off-campus employment authorization.

How can I determine if the position is related to my major?

We would encourage you to speak with a career services advisor, professor, or academic advisor in your field of study to review the position description and discuss the appropriateness of the position to your major.

Can I extend my OPT if I don’t have a STEM major?

No, the only OPT extension available to F-1 students is available to those with a qualifying STEM degree of a bachelor’s or higher. You may discuss alternative options with your employer, such as H-1B, if they wish to keep you employed beyond your authorized period of post-completion OPT.