ISS is committed to the holistic success of international students on F and J visas at UW-Madison. We are responsible for ensuring student and institutional compliance with the federal regulations. International Student Advisors are approved by the Department of Homeland Security to serve as Designated School Officials (DSO) and the Department of State to serve as Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO). ISS is responsible for advising students based on institutional policy and federal regulations. We liaise with federal agencies such as United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to ensure that international students receive the benefits of their F-1 visa status.
Within Our Scope:
- Advise students on immigration rules and regulations.
- Empower students to make informed decisions regarding their immigration status.
- Process requests for work authorization, reduced course loads, social security letters, etc. Processes are based on federal regulations.
- Offer co-curricular programs designed to engage students in the campus and community, and prepare them to succeed in and outside the classroom.
- Advocate for international student needs.
Outside Our Scope:
- Advising for other visa categories.
- Making decisions for the student.
- Making the rules: Our processes and requests for information are based on federal requirements.
- Controlling processing times: Applications for visas or benefits are subject to review and adjudication by the relevant federal agency.